Best of Jackie on the Web Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Best of Jackie on the Web Forum

A Jackie Evancho Fan-Moderated Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Artists you've discovered because of Jackie

+8
erion
dyoung
bluebird
Mr.SG.
Xeroid
batdog
Admin
Fantabulosa
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Fantabulosa

Fantabulosa

This is sort of a Jackie topic, but I put it in Anything Not Jackie because the focus is on other artists. Who have you discovered or had never listened to before, and now like as a direct result of being a Jackie fan? Try to stick to within a degree or two of separation, and explain the connection—this is to keep the thread focused, rather than it becoming a repository for miscellaneous favorites.

An example of one degree would be, say, you never listened to Sarah Brightman, or Jumaane Smith, but now do. A two-degree separation might be Jackie to Sarah to Hayley Westerna. Even at two degrees, the list could expand exponentially, but since we already know who Jackie has actually performed with, I think it would be interesting to know if, for example, anyone has become a Lady GaGa fan from watching her duet with Tony Bennett (or simply like that performance, which I think is great and fun to watch).

I'm going to exercise great restraint and only post three videos. As tempting as it is to post a squillion of them, I'll just list some of the other 'Jackie-spin-off' artists afterward:

1. Anna Graceman. This is a "never watched AGT before Jackie" connection, and also a recommendation from a fellow Jackie fan. Anna is a 13-year old (14 in August) singer-songwriter who was a top-ten finalist in Season 6 of AGT. However, she sang only covers on the show, and although I thought she was cute as a bug, I wasn't bowled over by her style until I started watching some of her official videos of her self-penned songs. She's been writing songs and music since she was six, many of which are quite good. But to my taste, she really came came into her own with her latest album.

I'm just going to post one video from her recent 7-week, 48-show run at the Palazzo in Las Vegas. I went to see her with a couple of Jackie fans the day after Jackie's concert, and we all got to meet and chat with her and her dad in the lobby after the show (we left star-struck, she's such a sweet person). The song is called Lexi's Lullaby, which she wrote about her newborn cousin (who appears at the end of the video). It's a beautifully gentle ballad, and quite unlike many of her upbeat and catchy pop-rock songs, but it's just so lovely that I have to share it:

2. Ella Henderson. Ella is a 16-year old top-five(?) finalist of The X-Factor UK, which I started watching after "giving in" to talent shows, post Jackie AGT. Unlike AGT, contestants may perform their own music for their audition (I'm not sure about any of the other rounds). For Ella's audition, she performed an emotional and sad song that she wrote, which stunned the four judges. I was taken aback by her rich, full-bodied voice. She's been compared to Adele, but I have to say that I think people will one day be comparing other singers to Ella. Her first album is expected out soon, but I don't know when exactly; apparently it's in its final stages.

I'll leave it to you to look for her audition if you haven't already heard it. Instead, I'm going to post her rendition of Take Back's Rule the World, performed on X-Factor. The song begins at 01:30, but I think the whole segment is interesting. One of the judges wrote Rule the World, and was stunned by her performance. He told her she sang it "ten times better" than he did:

3. Lara Fabian. As we all likely know, Lara was asked (as I understood one of MikeE's old posts) by David Foster and the Evanchos to write new lyrics for her song (co-written by Walter Afanasieff), Broken Vow, which became Imaginer for Jackie. It's a lovely song for Jackie to sing, and the lyrics to Imaginer are well-suited to her. The original is also a very lovely, but very sad, song. As someone on Jackie's forum said, he hoped Jackie will never have to experience the heartbreak of betrayal. Nor do any of us, but this is what makes Broken Vow such an amazing song—it captures that pain so poignantly. The lyrics to this song are among the most gut-wrenching I've ever heard:

Others (no videos)

4. Carly Rose Sonenclar. Carly is 14-years old with a lovely and versatile voice, with a LOT of power behind it. She mainly sings popular covers, and like many young pop singers, has a tendency to throw R&B embellishments into her singing. But on the X-Factor USA, she was praised a time or two for, as one judge put it, "showing restraint" and not adding a lot of "vocal acrobatics." One of my favorite performances was her version of Justin Bieber's (yes, you read right), As Long As You Love Me, which can be found on The X-Factor USA's page.

5. Tony Bennet. I've always loved singers like Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennet, but until recently, I only had Sinatra in my music collection. I was lucky enough to see Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr. in Seattle, but never Tony Bennet. I bought his Duets II CD (for obvious Jackie reasons) and quite like it.

6. Jumaane Smith. DaveM over at JEFC made a couple of videos which play on the excitement of attending Jackie's Cincinnati concert. He used Jumaane's recorded music in both videos, and I thought it was pretty groove-worthy stuff. I'm a new fan.

Lots more, but that's enough...

Admin

Admin
Admin

Fantabulosa wrote:This is sort of a Jackie topic, but I put it in Anything Not Jackie because the focus is o

Lots more, but that's enough...

I love this post! It's exactly what this site is about: we should feel free to bring in topics that though inspired by Jackie aren't constrained by the JEFC rules.

My suggestions are the ones we put up on the main site (that we removed because of the negativity it generated):

-----------

Here is our short list of young female talent you might wish to learn more about.

Georgia Odette -- Georgia has a beautiful operatic voice. If she chooses to stay in the Classical Crossover genre, it will be a loss to classical music. We very much wish the best for her whatever path she takes and by our estimate she's bound for fame -- Classical Crossover profile ("Her voice is so strong that Odette could easily pursue a serious career in opera") -- Soundcloud -- Twitter -- Facebook page

------------

Tayla Alexander -- Listen to Tayla once and you'll want to listen over and over and over again -- Classical Crossover profile ("Tayla Alexander shows extraordinary promise as an eleven year old soprano who sounds very similar to Hayley Westenra when she was her age.") -- iTunes -- YouTube channel -- Twitter -- Facebook page. Her EP Songbird is available on iTunes

------------

Scarlett Quigley -- With so much natural talent and beauty, Scarlett's a name you'll be hearing for many years to come -- Classical Crossover profile ("It's very difficult to see past beauty when someone is as beautiful as Scarlett Quigley is") -- YouTube channel -- Twitter --- Facebook page

------------

Bella Farro -- This extraordinarily talented young woman deserves much better exposure

------------

Nikki Yanofsky -- a great stage performer, great jazz interpreter, we could say more (did actually, but a reader objected to our admittedly unrestrained praise) -- Wikipedia page -- Official website -- Twitter -- Facebook page

------------

Carly Rose Sonenclar -- Destined for the Grammy's no doubt about it -- Twitter -- Official website

------------

Isabel *** -- Isabel had a record contract. She deserves to have another chance at fame. Classical Crossover profile -- Twitter -- Wikipedia page

-------------

Oskana Lepska -- From Latvia, fifteen-year-old Oskana has a rich, confident quality to her voice that, like Jackie's is unusually adult. Captivating -- Talenthouse.com -- YouTube channel

------------

Anastasia Petrik -- What can we say? Anastasia is an amazing pop talent! -- Що ми можемо сказати? Анастасія є дивовижний талант поп -- Twitter -- Official web page

http://bestofjackieontheweb.com/

3Artists you've discovered because of Jackie Empty R- for reverse Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:05 pm

batdog

I found The Eriam Sisters on AGT and then Jackie and everyone else mentioned. The Eriam Sisters are really great but for some reason haven't made it BIG yet. Maybe someone can tell me why. I also found SuBo, also before she sang with Jackie. Did anyone see Susan Boyle's audition on AGT. It was just like Jackie's only for different reasons. Anna Christine was a shocker also. For a 10 year old she belted out quite a House Of The Rising Sun.

4Artists you've discovered because of Jackie Empty MORE OF THE SAME Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:10 pm

batdog

Has anyone listened to Vazquez Sounds. I under stand they signed with Sony but haven't heard anything yet.

5Artists you've discovered because of Jackie Empty JUST FOR FUN Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:44 pm

batdog

Artists you've discovered because of Jackie 417039_265813966833335_2122831094_nHas anyone heard Aaralyn and Izzy. Kind of a different genre. This is about as far from Jackie as you can get. No I won't do it again I promise!!!!

Xeroid

I discovered Katherine Jenkins when she sang a duet Xmas song with Jackie. They are very similar except in age. Blond, beautiful, great sound. I do believe that Katherine has better diction, though. Perhaps because of experience.

Mr.SG.

I used to only watch Taylor Swift.  Then somehow saw Connie Talbot.
When looking for Connie's videos, I saw Jackie doing AGT mid Aug.2010.
It only took one viewing and I was hooked.
Then Emily Bear poped up and the next AGT brought Anna Graceman.
I have found lots of really good young artist since 2011.
The best young singer next to Jackie, to me, is Noelle Maracle

bluebird

bluebird

I discovered Katherine Jenkins because of Jackie, when she sang with her.

I also discovered Anastasia Petrik by reading an article about Jackie where she was mentioned. And I now like her, dare I say it, almost as much as I like Jackie. They are both very talented on stage in different ways, and both seem very well mannered (even though I don't really understand anything Anastasia says!).Smile

dyoung

I also discovered Katherine Jenkins because of Jackie.  Because of Jackie I also discovered a lot of great artists, like Hayley Westenra, Sissel, Alfie Boe, Michael Costaldo, Toni Gibson and many more.  Before I heard Jackie, I had never heard the term "Classical Crossover" and the only artists that sing in this genre that I had heard were Groban, Brightman, and Bocelli.  It is now my favorite music and I listen to it most of the time.  But I still can not imagine ever hearing anyone as good to my ears as Jackie Evancho.Very Happy

erion

I discovered quite a few artists that I like a lot because of Jackie. I just want to point out here that I recently ordered 'Sumi Jo sings Mozart.' It should arrive in the mail this week. I don't know enough about Sumi Jo to recommend one album over another, though.

gfink2

Hi all! 

The first artist that came to my attention because of Jackie was Katherine Jenkins. I now own several of her CDs. Next was Sarah Brightman. I have her Eden CD and it's an amazing disc. And I guess Jumaane Smith would also count as another one. I also began to really understand David Foster's influence in the industry because of Jackie.

I also started looking at other earlier opera singers and I found a few of note. I already knew about Maria Callas, but I revisited her and I'm glad I did. Another one like that was Kirsten Flagstad, who is well worth hearing even though her most recent performances are 60 years old. Janet Baker was new to me, and I'm glad to have some of her work now too.

12Artists you've discovered because of Jackie Empty Anna Graceman Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:40 am

SempreLibere

SempreLibere

Fantabulosa wrote:
1. Anna Graceman.
I'm just going to post one video from her recent 7-week, 48-show run at the Palazzo in Las Vegas. I went to see her with a couple of Jackie fans the day after Jackie's concert, and we all got to meet and chat with her and her dad in the lobby after the show (we left star-struck, she's such a sweet person). The song is called Lexi's Lullaby, which she wrote about her newborn cousin (who appears at the end of the video).

I was one of those lucky Jackie fans who got to see Anna's performance and meet her after the AGT show in Vegas with Guy. She really delivered a powerhouse performance and captured the attention of the audience as you can see in the video. Her CD is worth owning and has some really singable melodies on it, including one of my favorites called, "Can We Figure it Out".

PS in case you are wondering, I have a new username over here at BOJOTW. It's great to see some familiar (faces?) like these >>>>Embarassed Evil or Very Mad pig cat Basketball albino king flower afro 

(JEFC dmassaglia)

Last edited by SempreLibere on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed URL)

13Artists you've discovered because of Jackie Empty Lindsey Sterling Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:27 pm

bristol

bristol

Following Jackie led me Classical Crossover.uk where I've been introduced to many excellent singers and musicians. 

Lindsey Sterling is, I think, an amazingly talented artist. 

Watch several of her videos and you might be hooked. 

coins

bristol wrote:Following Jackie led me Classical Crossover.uk where I've been introduced to many excellent singers and musicians. 

Lindsey Sterling is, I think, an amazingly talented artist. 

Watch several of her videos and you might be hooked. 

Lindsey Sterling is very good and your utube vids fun to watch.

But, my favorite, besides Jackie I love you, is Mary-Jess.  Very Happy

15Artists you've discovered because of Jackie Empty Hayley Westenra Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:42 pm

SempreLibere

SempreLibere

A lot of Jackie fans have referred other fans to listen to Hayley Westenra. I recently purchased her DVD, "Hayley Westenra Live from New Zealand", and it has a lot of great songs on it. Hayley's voice is quite beautiful, and she sings crystal clear notes. My favorite song from the DVD is "Wuthering Heights", which Hayley sings with a lot of passion...and the song is an interesting arrangement, showing off other textures of her voice than those that come across in most of the ballads and arias.

Hayley sings "River of Dreams" on the DVD. It would be interesting to see if Jackie ever revisits that song when she is an adult.

The Hayley DVD is little different from Jackie's 2 DVDs in that it is more extremely staged...down to the last detail. Hayley changes her dress every few songs, for example. The director is our good friend David Horn, who I believe produced both of Jackie's DVD's.

bristol

bristol

SempreLibere wrote:The Hayley DVD is little different from Jackie's 2 DVDs in that it is more extremely staged...down to the last detail. Hayley changes her dress every few songs, for example. The director is our good friend David Horn, who I believe produced both of Jackie's DVD's.

When she is older I think Jackie will think through her non-singing performance while on the stage. As it is, she sometimes abruptly walks off stage to the surprise and bewilderment of the audience. Her youth forgives her, but as she grows older audiences, I think, will expect a highly polished performance in all respects.

bluebird

bluebird

I didn't post a video of my second favorite singer earlier as pop music may not appeal to most of you here , but she stepped on stage Friday night in sunglasses and platform shoes and rocked Ukraine TV with her new song "Victory". Cool 

Lady Gaga might be looking over her shoulder and should be afraid, VERY afraid! Smile 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum